|Panasonic Arc4 Electric Razor, Men’s 4-Blade Cordless with Wet/Dry Convenience, ES-LA63-S|
|Retail Price: $299.99|
|Amazon Price: $109.99|
I’ve been through tons of different makes and models of electric shavers over the years and Panasonic electric shavers have never disappointed me. I like them more than any other brand, including Braun because their excellent designs provide an impeccable shaving experience. I’ve been playing around with the Panasonic ES-LA63-S Arc IV Nanotech Rechargeable Shaver since it was released in early 2010 and I’m going to briefly go over the specs then get into my experience with this shaver over the past few months.
The Panasonic ES-LA63-S is a top of the line electric razor with state-of-the-art shaving technology. Not only is it a wet/dry shaver with an ultra-sharp and ultra-thin vibrating outer foil, but the multi-flexible active head hugs every contour of your face, leading to smooth, one pass shaving every time. It also features a 14000 RPM linear motor, which delivers all the power you need to plow through even the thickest facial hair, with no painful yanking and pulling.
My Experience with the Panasonic ES-LA63-S
Alright, now that the specs are out of the way, let’s get down to business. You’re wondering whether the Panasonic ES-LA63-S works and works well. So what’s the answer? A resounding YES. The Panasonic ES-LA63-S is a beast in the bathroom and after using it daily over the past few months, I can honestly say it’s a great shaver.
I love the fact that it’s a wet/dry shaver because I can use it in the shower or lather up and then shave without worrying about screwing it up. Best of all, shaving in the shower means no more scattered hair all over the counter, floor and sink (which drives the wife crazy!). I also love the fact that it gets the job done the first time, which is probably due to the nano-sharpened blades (there are four of them).
With other shavers in the past I had to go over and over and over the same area to get the hairs it missed. By the time I had done that, I might as well have just broken out a standard razor and shaved the old fashioned way. But with the Panasonic ES-LA63-S I never have that problem.
- Flexible Head: The head on this shaver really has a lot of play. It can flex both ways, which means I don’t have to worry about lining it up correctly to get a good shave. The device is designed so that you can get a good shave in just one pass and from what I’ve seen it lives up to this claim. I spend less time shaving now because I don’t have to go over each spot several times.
- Convenient Battery: There’s an indicator built into the shaver that lets me know when the battery needs to be recharged. The battery itself lasts a decent amount – I can usually get five or six shaves out of it before I need to recharge. This comes in handy when I’m traveling since I can usually make it last the whole trip without needing to recharge.
- Wet/Dry Shaver: I’m a big fan of being able to use this shaver either wet or dry. If I have some time in the morning I can lather up and use it wet, which gives me a more comfortable shave. If I’m in a hurry, though, I can just go ahead and use it dry. Whatever the circumstances it works very well.
- Quiet: My girlfriend was concerned when I decided to switch over to an electric razor. She sleeps later than I do and the walls of our apartment are very thin. She didn’t need to worry, though, since the motor on this device is extremely quiet. I can actually hear the hair being cut at times, which is kind of neat.
- Large Head is not for Precision work: If you need to shape a beard or a goatee you might find the ES-LA63-S a little cumbersome. The head is so large that it’s difficult to get a precise line. On the other hand, having a large head means you’ll save time on the rest of your face, which you can then put towards maintaining your beard with a straight razor.
- Average Performance on the Neck: I’ve found that I haven’t gotten quite as good results on my neck as I have on my face. It takes a few more passes to get my neck done. Again, though, I save so much time on the rest of my face that I still come out ahead.
Should You Buy it?
After using it exclusively for the past few months I can understand why it won the 2010 Grooming award from Men’s Health magazine. It is a fantastic electric shaver and its currently one of the best Panasonic electric shaver models out there. Personally, I would prefer to buy the Panasonic ES-LA93-K Vortex shaver instead because it’s the same as this shaver but it comes with an extra cleaning system. But if you feel that you don’t need a self-cleaning and self-drying dock, this is a pretty good shaver that’s worth every cent. Recommended.
Price Alert: Currently Amazon.com is offering free shipping and a generous 53% discount for the Panasonic ES-LA63-S Arv IV Electric Shaver. This is a massive savings of $160 from the usual retail price so be sure to take advantage of this offer!