|Philips Norelco 7340 Men’s Shaving System packaging may vary|
|Retail Price: $59.99|
|Amazon Price: $119.99|
A long time ago I bought the Philips Norelco 7340 Men’s Shaving System as a gift for my brother and he lent it to me during a camping trip, hence this short review. This shaver is comfortable and easy to use. First of all, the Reflex Action System that the heads are based on matches the shape of my face perfectly. Individually floating heads also match themselves to my face, giving a close shave with little hassle. The precision cutting system makes use of holes and slots to get hair of multiple lengths.
A close shave is made even closer by below the skin lift and cut technology. It runs on rechargeable batteries that give up to ten days of shaving on an eight hour charge. Best of all (in my book, anyway), is that it’s fully washable, meaning I don’t have to waste a bunch of time manually cleaning out the blades. For closeness, comfort, and ease of use, this shaver’s hard to beat.
- Up Close and Personal: Everything about this shaver is designed to give you the closest shave possible. The Reflex action system is a perfect example of this. It automatically changes to match the shape of my face, giving me a close shave without me having to think about it. The individually floating heads do the same thing. It’s a lot easier to get those hard to reach spots this way than it is with a straight razor, or even some of the electric razors I’ve tried.
- Precision Cutting System: As nice as it would be if all of my stubble was the same length all the time, that’s not always the case. Sometimes I end up with a few hairs that are a little longer. That’s where the precision cutting system comes in. The holes take care of the shorter stubble, while the slots handle the longer hairs.
- Rechargeable Batteries: I don’t have to be dependent on an outlet to use this shaver, which makes it great for traveling. After an eight hour charge the 7340 can go up to ten days. And there are no worries about over-charging the battery and damaging it – the shaver comes with a display that lets you know when the battery has collected enough juice.
- Fully Washable: I love this. There’s enough I have to clean in my life – I don’t want to spend time on my razor too. With the 7340 I can get most of my cleaning done just by running it under tap water. I do this on a regular basis and I never get any sort of performance-reducing build-up.
- Stops When Battery Gets Low: Other battery powered shavers I’ve worked with slow down once the battery gets low. This isn’t the case here. Once the charge falls below a certain level the whole machine just stops. This can get a little annoying, especially if I’m not near an outlet when it happens. On the other hand, it means that whenever the machine is on it’s giving me its full performance.
- No Case: This is just a minor point, but there’s no case included with the shaver package. It’d be nice to have something that’s designed to go with the shaver for when I’m traveling. Not really a deal breaker, especially since it fits into my toiletries bag without a problem, but it’d be nice to have.
The Philips Norelco 7340 has what it takes to give a close, comfortable shave. I’ve had none of the nicks and cuts that come from a straight razor and none of the irritation that other electric razors can bring.
The reflex action system, individually floating heads, precision cutting system, and lift and cut technology all work together to give me a fantastic shave each morning. The battery works well, and it’s quick and easy to clean. This shaver really suits my lifestyle and I couldn’t be more pleased with the results it’s giving me.
All in all, this is not a bad rotary shaver but for shavers around this price range ($40 to $90), there are several other shavers that are slightly better in terms of performance. Personally, I would spring for the Philips Norelco 8020X because it does wet shaving extremely well or the Philips Norelco 8240, which appears to have a better blade cutting system than the Philips Norelco 7340.
Still if you want to save some money, this is something worth considering.
Price Alert: At the moment Amazon.com is offering free shipping and a 17% discount for the Philips Norelco 7340. This is a savings of $10 off the usual retail price.