|Philips Norelco 7810XL Men’s Cutting System|
|Retail Price: $69.99|
|Amazon Price: $175.95|
I’ve been using the Philips Norelco 7810XL Men’s Shaving System for over a year and I think it deserves a little review so here I am. I’ve been through quite a few electric shavers over the years, and now I believe I’ve finally found one that’s as close to perfect as I’m ever going to get. I’ll go over the specs for this model very quickly and then share my thoughts after having used this as my daily shaver for the past few months.
The 7810XL features Norelco’s award winning Precision Cutting System, which uses a combination of slots (for long hairs) and holes (for short stubble) in the shaving head to give the closest possible shave. The individually floating heads easily conform to the curves of your face and, thanks to the Super Lift & Cut Technology, deliver a below-the-skin cut.
The ergonomic grip provides exceptional handling and the internal battery provides 17 days of cordless shaving, after which you can recharge it fully in just one hour. When you’re in a hurry, a quick three minute charge gives you enough power for a complete shave.
My Experience with the Philips Norelco 7810XL
Alright, now that the specs are out of the way, I’m sure you want to hear what really matters: does it work? The answer is YES. I’ve owned electric razors from every major brand on the market (Remington, Wahl, Panasonic and all the rest) including both foil and tri-head models like this one, and the Philips Norelco 7810XL beats them all hands down.
I typically get closer to 20 shaves out of it before it needs recharging, probably because it does such a good job of shaving, which means less passes than competing models to get a clean shave. It’s also fully washable unlike other models that rust up if they get wet, which makes cleaning it quick and easy. Oh, and it passes the most important test of all, my wife’s inspection!
- Long Battery Life: I travel on a regular basis for my job, so it’s important to me to have a razor that holds up on the road. The 7810XL does this perfectly. The battery seems to last forever – I can easily go for two weeks between charges. The charge itself is very quick as well, so I’m never worried about not having it ready when I need it.
- Lift and Cut: I have a thick beard that grows in quickly, so the closer the shave the better. The lift and cut technology included in this razor gives me a very close shave. There are two blades involved in this feature. A small blade grabs the hair and lifts it up, while a larger blade comes behind it and cuts. This allows for a much closer shave than I could get otherwise.
- Quick: I’m not what you call a morning person. When I get myself out of bed I want to get going as quickly as possible and not spend time on grooming. The 7810XL makes it easy to face each morning because it gives such a quick shave. The individually floating heads are perfect for matching the contours of my face, so I don’t end up missing spots and having to go back several times. Once I’m done I’m done and I can get on to other things.
- Easy to Clean: Cleaning out my razor is another thing I hate doing in the morning. This has probably led to the death of some of my previous shavers. It’s not an issue for me with this one, though. Because it’s fully washable I just run it under tap water and most of the mess is gone.
- No Charging Stand: I’ve had shavers in the past that come with a nice stand to rest the shaver in while it’s charging. Nothing like that is included with the 7810XL. This isn’t a huge issue for me, it just means that I have to leave it on the sink instead of putting it somewhere a bit more out of the way. I suppose if you got creative it wouldn’t be too hard to make a stand for it.
- No Carrying Case: This is just another little nit-pick, but there’s no carrying case included with the shaver. This doesn’t affect the performance of the shaver in any way, but it would be nice to have something designed to hold the shaver for traveling.
The Bottom Line
I can’t say enough good things about the Philips Norelco 7810XL. At the end of the day it’s just a razor but when you shave every single morning, it really is important to have a solid, reliable, well performing shaver. It may not have all the bells and whistles of higher end models, but it does exactly what I need it do, and that’s to give me a nice clean, quick shave. I wouldn’t have any problem recommending this to any guy, believe me your face will thank you (your significant other will too!).